"I pulled you over for Speeding. Do you have any idea how fast you were going?"

Regardless of what you ride, even if you don't ride at all, EVERYONE is welcome here.

Mr. Motorcycle


I am

My photo
I live at 1 Frozen place in, Minnesota, United States
My real name is Mark. For many years now my wife has called me Mr. Motorcycle. When I started my Blog I was looking for a catchy blog name, so I went with it. I'm happily married and I'm also a father of 6 children. I have two human offspring, one dog, two cats and one custom Harley. I believe that makes 6 children. When I'm not doing my real full time job, or going for a ride, I like to do art, custom paint jobs, and of course BLOG. If you would like to contact me, my e-mail address is phonetically spelled for avoiding spammers. (I actually do use the number 1 in the beginning.) 1mrmotorcycleATgmailDOTcom

*****This is my Bliss*****

*****This is my Bliss*****
Depending on your settings, Click, or Double Click on the image for full size photo.
The photo above is my ride :
"Kenny" started life as a stock '97, 883 Sportster. It's been a work in progress since the day I bought it many years ago. Its mostly custom with a built, "slightly juiced up" 1200 motor.
The Metal Fabrication, bodywork and custom paint was done by me.

How the Hell did I come up with a name like Kenny for my bike you ask?...... Most people who name their rides, go with chick names. I of course had to be different. I think bikes look tough, cool and masculine; not feminine. Plus, my father "Ken" has helped make me who I am today. Therefore with a little twist on the name, my bike was named "Kenny".

KUSTUM PAINT

KUSTUM PAINT
Come check out my custom paint! Click on the logo above to go to my custom paint blog.

Friday, September 12, 2008

TECH TIP #8... REPAIRING SCRATCHED PLASTIC LENSES

It's been a while since I did a tech tip, so her's one for ya.

.




Did you know that if you get a scratch in a plastic lense, even if deep that it can usually be wet sanded out and then buffed back to a shine?.




Plastic buffs like butter. That means that it is really easy to buff out.




If you have a scratched lense, sand it out. Don't sand any area you won't be able to access with the buffer, or you'll have permanent sanding marks there.




Start with a coarse paper, and work your way down to a really fine grit. Then simply buff it up to a nice shine. a fine grit, to polish compound is all you need. If you have no rubbing compound, and don't want to buy any, toothpaste with baking soda will work in a pinch because plastic is so soft, that is all it will take! Oh yeah, and if you don't have rubbing compound, I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and assume you have no buffer either. Elbo grease will work here just fine.




This works, I promise. Over the years back in the body shop days, and even currently, I've saved thousands of dollars doing this on really expensive plastic headlamp lenses etc.




If you have a scratched lense, don't be afraid to try this.

You have nothing to loose!


6 comments:

Big Daddy said...

Here in Az it's a regular pratice once a year to do the headlights on our buick.
Just as you said.
Great tip

FLHX_Dave said...

Hmmm...I am going to try this. It works on chrome too, right? LOL!

Thanks for the tip

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Big D,
Thanks for backing me up Bro! Now someone might actually believe me.

FLHX Dave,
Yes, it does work on chrome too. If you have a really fine scratch, you can make it dissapear by using a really coarse grit, like 36 grit. You won't even notice the fine scratches anymore. But the 36 grit buffs out a bit harder on chrome. Go on, give it a shot!

(If I could do a reply in fine print, there would be a fine print disclaimer right here. It would state: If anyone who read the above comment reply to FLHX Dave is actually dumb enough to believe what I just said, please be my guest and destroy your chrome. Just don't blame me for being gullible.)

FLHX_Dave said...

LOL! Gimme back that chrome moron, you don't deserve it son. (glad you made the disclaimer because there are lawyers in the world, and 96 percent of them live in the U.S.)

Webster World said...

I don't know if you go back and check sh** so I guess I'll find out. The lense, just did it on my friends 08 pick-up. Thanks for the tip. I had some old compound I found in my basement from hell I don't know maybe the late 60's early 70's. A bit dry but it worked.

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Webster World,
Glad it Worked for you!